Golf Australia
Course Reviews
 




 
Teeing Off

SCOTT WINS ... AT LAST!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

By Brendan James
Golf Australia Editor
at The Australian Open
Adam Scott has won the Australian Open, his first win as a professional on home soil.
The 29-year-old Queenslander fired an even par 72 closing round to hold off Victorian Stuart Appleby and win by five shots. American Bryce Molder, Kiwi Michael Long and West Australian Nick O'Hern were a further four shots back in a tie for third place.
Scott said the win was sweet after enduring his worst season on the PGA Tour in the nine years since turning professional.
"This vindicates all the hard work I have done," Scott said. "It is incredible to now have my name on the same trophy that has been won by so many great champions. I feel honoured.
"With my results in Singapore, then at the Masters in Melbourne and last week in Dubai I could feel this coming, I just had to keep doing the right things in terms of preparation."
Scott received the Stonehaven Cup for his win from childhood hero and mentor Greg Norman, who appeared to whisper something in his protege's ear as he handed over the trophy.
"He said it's about bloody time," Scott laughed.
"To get trophy from Greg just adds to the occasion. We have a very close relationship and he has been very helpful throughout my career with advice about all sorts of things. I can't thank him enough."
Of course, it was Norman who boosted Scott's confidence, and virtually turned his season around, by selecting him in the International team for the Presidents Cup back in October.
"I was going home to put my feet up for a few weeks but then I got the call from Greg, so I had to knuckle down and work my arse off to turn things around," Scott said. "I didn't play great at the Presidents Cup but I did get a confidence boost out of just being there and competing.
"That has rolled on into the events since."
Scott started the final round with a two-stroke lead over Appleby, but that advantage was quickly eroded at the 1st hole as Appleby birdied and Scott bogied. But birdies to the eventual champion at the 2nd and 3rd holes opened up a three-shot lead and from that stage Scott was never headed.
***FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN, CHECK OUT THE JANUARY ISSUE OF GOLF AUSTRALIA, ON SALE DECEMBER 16.

Comments:
AS PREDICTED IN GOLF AUSTRALIA!!!!!
 
well done Adam - its been a long time coming! Congrats to Golf Australia for your excellent preview as well.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Archives

September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   February 2010   March 2010   June 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Golf Australia Magzine January 2009